Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 29

Day 29. Is there a difference between palliative care and hospice care?

Yes! Although many people think they are synonymous, palliative care should be part of each person's cancer care right from the beginning. Palliative care is treatment of side effects, stress and pain. Studies have shown that palliative care not only improves quality of life, but also can extend life by several months.

I've been lucky so far and my experience hasn't been too awful. Sure, there have been bumps, but I know it could be much worse. My doctor's wife is a therapist, so I have that option available if I need it.  The doctor's staff has been very supportive, too, and that helps! I'm not seeing them very often now, with the new treatment and I miss them! Quite a relationship is built up over 16 months of treatment!
My best palliative care comes from a strong better half who loves me and shows me everyday! He certainly didn't sign up for this experience, but has been captain of my team since the diagnosis. 

I've thought about volunteering at a hospice, but am still mulling it over...on one hand, it would prepare me for what might be ahead (there's always the "hit by bus" option, haha!) but on the other hand, it might be too much, emotionally. I will really have to think it through.

Comments

Popular Posts