Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 28

Day 28. What is Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) is a rare and very aggressive disease in which cancer cells block lymph vessels in the skin of the breast. This type of breast cancer is called "inflammatory" because the breast often looks swollen and red, or "inflamed." Because it is difficult to diagnose and often mistaken for other conditions, patients usually have IBC at stage III or IV.

My cancer presented as inflammatory per the original doctor's report, but the doctor has never said it is inflammatory, if that makes sense. I do remember him saying "aggressive" during our initial consultation.
Years ago, when nursing my youngest son, I had mastitis. One word: painful.  Last year, about a month before I was diagnosed, my breast started burning and it hurt and I thought I had mastitis again (I gave no thought as to how I would have gotten it.) I made an appointment with my OB-GYN and the fun began!

(I've never asked the doctor about it because I forget when I am in the room with him!)

Comments

Popular Posts