Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 20

Day 20. Why does treatment for metastatic disease seem 'less aggressive' than treatment for early stage disease? Why does everything feel less urgent, despite a much more serious prognosis?

Treatment of early stage disease focuses on curing the cancer and therefore is immediate and aggressive. Because there is no cure for MBC at this time, treatment focuses on controlling the disease and permits a more measured, long-term approach to therapy, with hopefully more attention directed to long term quality of life and reducing adverse side effects.

I haven't lost my hair because my doctor's plan was a lower dose of meds for a longer period of time. I got 15 months out of that first round, so I consider it a success. Hopefully, this course will go longer :)

Comments

Popular Posts