Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 22

Day 22. What are clinical trials and are they a 'last resort' when all other treatments fail?

Not at all. Clinical trials are controlled treatment studies on new drugs and are the method used to obtain FDA approval of new treatments. They should be an option considered right from the beginning of treatment for MBC patients, along with standard treatments. A clinical trial may or may not be right for an individual and should be discussed with the oncologist.

I have never considered clinical trials for two reasons. First, so far my treatments have been effective at keeping things in check (to a point), so I see no need to try something new.
Secondly, I don't like the thought of getting a placebo. I don't have time for that.
(I may have them all wrong, but I'm still not interested at this point.)

Comments

Popular Posts