Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 25

Day 25. What has been the level of breast cancer research funding over the last few years?

Unfortunately, there has been a big drop in funding in government research (down $70 Million since 2010) and SGKomen (down $15 Million) and this is for ALL breast cancer research, not just metastatic research. The good news is that the number of grants awarded to study metastases and recurrence by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Dept of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program (DODBCRP) has increased in the last 2 years.

As odd as this may sound, I guess I'm lucky to have the type of cancer that I do (breast), because it gets the lion's share of research funding. This is a graphic I pulled from a Slate article (the formatting was the best I could get after tinkering with image size):



Breast cancer, by far, gets the most dollars. 

Comments

Popular Posts