Breast Cancer Awareness month - Day 16

Day 16. How is metastatic breast cancer monitored?
Usually MBC is monitored by periodic imaging tests (CT, PET or bone scans or MRIs), blood tests measuring tumor markers and assessment of how the patient is feeling.

Initially, I had an ultrasound, an MRI, a CT scan and a PET scan. After a bit, I had a MUGA scan to get a baseline look at my heart, because one of the drugs in my chemo regimen can cause heart damage. After the first MUGA, the insurance company balked at paying for a follow-up scan 6 months later (grrr), so we switched to an echocardiogram (a heart ultrasound), which isn't that much cheaper than the MUGA, but the insurance company found it an acceptable alternative.**

My last CT scan was in March (2015) and it revealed the pulmonary emboli, so a blood thinner was thrown into my daily drug regimen. I expected to have another in September, but I didn't.  Then this business with the pleural effusion popped up. I see the doctor again this week and will get a better idea of what is ahead in terms of tests.

And all of that above is in addition to the blood work with every visit and the CA 27-29 (tumor markers) test every 4 weeks or so.
I'm a regular at the oncologist's office :)

 **I absolutely hate that part of this whole thing - the insurance company has a say in how I am treated. I know that if something is denied, we can appeal. I know that my doctor is willing to fight for me.  The thing is, he shouldn't have to, in my opinion. The insurance company is not in the room when he checks me, or when we talk about how I am feeling, or when he talks about what he feels our next step should be. The insurance company not paying for something is a worry no sick person should have.

Comments

Popular Posts