Just like every other day



Friday used to be a bigger deal than it is now. I've never been a regular bar goer (must drink all weekend!) and my adventures were always able to fit into a weekday evening, so Friday was more the last day I had to wake up for work (I've always been an early riser and would still be up on weekends). Now that I'm not working, I can have adventures whenever I want (rare!) and if I was physically able, I could sleep until 10 every morning. (I don't.) The days are all the same and for the most part, I only know what day it is by what my pill box says. Exciting!

For anyone that missed it, the federal government declared me disabled back in September.* Technically, I could have been disabled at diagnosis in June 2014, but I continued to work full time for another 15 months. I decided to go this route (disability) for several reasons. One, I'm unlikely to live long enough to be old enough to collect social security. Two, I don't want to spend what time I have left sitting at a desk for 40 hours a week. I enjoyed my job, but it exhausted me mentally most days and I'm a tad weaker physically. I honestly don't do much now, but I feel good and that's what's important to me at this point. And third, the pleural effusion in September was a real scare and helped settle some things.
After a 5 month wait, I received my first disability check in April. I'll never be rich. Thankfully, that has never mattered to me.

*There is a thing called Compassionate Allowance that for certain conditions, metastatic breast cancer being one of them, allows an expedited decision and almost certain approval. I applied on a Friday and received a decision the following Tuesday. Peace of mind and the ability to plan for those 5 months!

Comments

Popular Posts