It was fair


We went to the Bloomsburg Fair on Saturday. I have only been one other time in the almost 30 years that I've lived here and what I remember from that time is: vendors. All I saw were booths of food, snarky shirts, sun room enclosures and more food. I got to the barns this time and I wasn't impressed.
Maybe it's because we were there on the first open day, but there weren't a lot of animals or as many as I expected for a fair this large. Perhaps that's a reflection on the state of farming today? All I know is that the small county fair of my childhood had many more animal entrants. The barns back then were full but there were many empty stalls here.


Having grown up as a 4-H exhibitor, I guess I was spoiled by "backstage access". I like to get right in with the animals so I can touch them. I realize the pens are to keep the animals safe from the general public and vice versa. I just wanted to touch. In years past, I may have tried harder to get in, but my mobility is diminished now and I was left to just chat with the farmers and only pet the animals that were out to be groomed. 


I was happiest in the poultry barn. The poultry barn saved it, as far as getting close to the animals. So many pretty breeds! I may need to look into owning some chickens!

Overall, it was a fun time, but now I've been and I don't need to go back.

Oh, and I was really dismayed at all of the Trump signs and shirts and stuff I saw. It scares me.

Comments

Popular Posts