It was a valiant effort, but I lost the bear

This is in Oregon and has nothing to do with the bear hunt.

I went on a bear hunt today. Apparently, the bear was on the dike (probably dancing) and I missed it because the shades are down to keep the morning sun from warming up the place. Last report I had was that it had headed down to the Market Street bridge, so I grabbed the camera and hustled down that way.
I went under the bridge and into the riparian area near Kirby Park. I met a group of students coming from further back on the Olmsted Trail so I knew the bear hadn't gone that way - there were no squeals or selfies. I veered toward the river and doubled back to the bridge, but no luck. It was too fast for me, if you can believe that. Ha.

On the way back home, I talked to the guy who called it in to the police. He confirmed that the bear had gone up the dike, then back down to Nesbitt Park where it relieved himself (so, no a bear doesn't sh*t in the woods, haha?) and then booked it to the bridge and out of sight. He said it was thrilling to see because you don't leave home in the morning expecting to see a bear up close. He lamented having an old flip phone and the inability to get a good picture.

I am kicking myself for not opening the shades!

Comments

Popular Posts