Don't pop the bubble wrap!





Yesterday's doctor appointment went well and it was nice to see everyone again! If there's a downside to doing so well, it's not seeing the wonderful nurses as often as I'd like. There are 2 that have been more "mine" from the get-go than any others and I miss them! I could visit, but hate to bother them while they work. (There seems to be no turnover there, by the by, which speaks well of the place!)

About the lung...when I had the thoracentesis done in March, Doctor W compared my pleura to bubble wrap, which was very helpful to me picturing what he meant. So yesterday, when discussing it with my oncologist, Doctor G, he had an official word for it that I can't remember and pretty much put the kabosh on having any procedures. Again, he's been all about quality of life and I am all about that!

Doctor G said the "bubble wrap" is probably scarring, which is a good thing - no fluid can go where there is scar tissue. I found this blurb on the Dr. Susan Love website (great info there!):
However, many women with such fluid in the pleura will get permanent relief by a combination of local drainage, scarring of the pleura, and a systemic therapy. From How do I know if it's spread to my lung?

He said the procedure to clear everything out involves a week to ten days of feeling absolutely horrible - and that's when I stopped listening about having it done. He doesn't think it's warranted and I'm ok with that! I feel good now and the breathing is normally not an issue. I'm not running anywhere and if I am going uphill, I stop and catch my breath as needed. No biggie!

This is the only time I will be ok with not popping the bubble wrap (I love popping the bubble wrap!).


(I have no idea why some of the text here is shaded - ah, interweb, you funny.)


Comments

Popular Posts