Decision made



I've decided to enter a photo or two into the Fine Arts Fiesta, after taking last year off. I've been what I consider successful there, winning an award one year and selling photos every year I've entered. My decision to sit out last year was mainly because of time constraints, but also a frustration that built up over "photos" that were awarded prizes. Again, I've won a prize and consider selling my work the biggest prize, so I'm not sure this is sour grapes. Maybe it is. I digress.

Over the years, I've noticed that some of the work winning awards in the Photography division were, to me, suspect. Maybe that isn't the best way to say it. I just think that a winged horse (Pegasus?) "running" down a beach isn't really a photo. It may have started as one, but at some point there was some Photoshop magic happening. Which is fine! I edit photos! The one above was converted to black and white, with a grain added in PSE. I just don't know that it's (Pegasus) something that should be judged against John Doe's photo of a flower, for example.
HDR photos are another example. (Full disclosure - I HATE HDR.) That's where several exposures are merged to make a photo pop, basically. Technical, I am not, haha. Again, it started as a photo, but to judge it against what seems to be a regular photo doesn't seem quite right, because the whole idea behind HDR is to make a completely new image.

Maybe it is sour grapes. Maybe I am a crankpot. Maybe they need to expand the categories to include a heavily altered photo category. I'll just enter and hopefully sell something. If not, more artwork for my walls!

Comments

Popular Posts