The journey, going home, passing...dying.

fog

My mom died yesterday.


Bladder cancer.  Less than a year since diagnosis.

She was 500 miles away.  My sisters were with her, my brother & I are away.  I saw her 3 weeks ago.  The decline had begun, but she was still her bossy self (well, she was!).  All of the sibs were there and she went over everything - the will, her wishes, what kind of fried chicken to have at the after funeral "party" and where to buy it, haha.

About a week ago, she started getting paranoid and mean.  My sisters assumed it was the meds, partly, and frustration at no longer being in control of her movement, her decisions.  She had to really start relying on others and I think she struggled with it.

It was also about a week ago that I talked with her last.  She was pretty out there, pain meds...and so worried about her doll collection.  She really wanted my daughter to have it.

We think it was painless and know that she went the way she wanted.

She was ready.

May be around, may not.  Call your mothers if you still have 'em.

(I learned how to be bossy from a pro ;) )

Comments

  1. Thank you. Losing a parent makes one feel like a scared 5 year old, no matter how many years past that we are, I think.
    It sucks. But she's better now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts