It never, ever gets old

DSC_5988e

On every drive back to Michigan, I leave I80 to swing by the Avenue of 444 Flags and War on Terror Memorial in Mercer County.  We discovered it years ago only because we did a half-way trip, meeting Michigan family at about the halfway point.

Imagine hearing only the sound of almost 500 full-size flags snapping in the breeze.  I've tried to facilitate anyone picturing it, but I'm not sure I can convey the solemnity and quiet peace.  It's mesmerizing, when experienced.  There are those who'll scoff at that thought, but it's true.  

DSC_6026e

DSC_5996es

DSC_6010e

DSC_6034e

DSC_6023e

DSC_6022e

The glass panels of the memorial are already almost filled, sadly, with entries as recent as May 2013.  It really hits you when standing there, that too many people have died.  Simple as that.  Yes, I'm a mom and I want everyone to be happy and get along and not hurt others.  I absolutely hate that there are parents who have lost children this way.  And probably right now, I'm even more emotional than what's normal for me. (yes, apparently that is possible)

I'm not sure where I'm going with any of this other than "look at the pictures and I wish everyone would stop hurting each other and hating".  We don't all need to be besties, but maybe a little respect for others?  It isn't just in far away places.  It's here, too, and it seems to be getting worse and it scares me.

/preachy.

The Avenue of 444 Flags and War on Terror Memorial in Mercer County.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts