Fair time, fun time

I went to the Wyoming County Fair the other day.  I went very early for several reasons: to beat the heat, to beat the crowds, and because a fair, to me, is about the animals and the tractors and the kids and the cakes and quilts and flower displays, so it was ok that the rides weren't running and food wasn't being vended.  The midway is a big draw for some people, and I do like the colors, but I love the barns.  I raised beef cattle for 4-H a very long time ago and enjoyed every second of it. This takes me back.

I was surprised to find only 6 steers.  Beef isn't as big now, I found out talking to a farmer, because prices are down.  His grandson, by the way, had one of the most beautiful steers I've ever seen.  Much has changed breed-wise since I was involved and these boys were LARGE.  They have to be, though - there's a 1,000 lb minimum to show.  There were also no fowl that I could find, but there was a large assortment of rabbits!  And just like I remember, goats just stink (it's the males, I've been told).

This is what a fair is, to me.  I want to see kids showing the animals that they've raised for a year, worked with, walked with, groomed.  That's what a fair is about, not new siding or a window decal for your car. (I went to the Bloomsburg Fair once, but never saw an animal because I never made it through the maze of vendors.)

It was a good day.

[gallery ids="1720,1718,1717,1726,1721,1724,1719,1723,1722,1716,1725"]

Comments

Popular Posts