It's been an eventful few weeks


I usually look forward to a good snowfall because of photo ops. This snowfall, I only made it as far as the front porch. For the time being, I'm on oxygen and it's a royal pain in the ass to cart it around. (That being said, I'm happy to be able to cart it around.)

The ovarian cancer has caused ascites and a pleural effusion. It was uncomfortable and made it hard to breathe. I needed a paracentesis  and a thoracentesis (actually, several of each). I had to come off the blood thinner before I could have them done. And then, because I was no longer on the blood thinner, I developed some pulmonary emboli, aka blood clots in my lung.
Doctors think that's a pretty big deal and keep one in the hospital for days for that.

I was admitted to the hospital (twice) because I couldn't breathe, put on oxygen and a heparin drip. Heparin has a shorter "shelf life", if you will, and would clear my system in 90 minutes so I could have the procedures if needed. (My regular blood thinner required 2 days off.)

Now I'm drained, have had 2 chemo treatments, am on oxygen at home (my pulse oxygen still dips a bit low) and I get to give myself an injection of blood thinner twice a day! (It's easier than I thought it would be.)

But...I'm home for the snowfall, I don't seem to be refilling with fluid and I can breathe! It got to the point, very quickly, where I couldn't talk without gasping. Not fun. So being able to walk from one room to another with struggling for breath is a pretty big deal.

Small bump in the road, but already I am feeling better and can see progress. I'm tolerating the chemo well so far, too!

Hopefully, I'll be off the injections and back on a pill for the blood thinner soon, and maybe I'll be able to ditch the oxygen, too.

Life is still pretty good :)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts