Never a dull moment!


But hopefully, we're heading into a period of calm, at least for long enough to enjoy some beautiful weather.

Last we met, I was waiting to be approved for the prostate drug Xtandi. And I was approved! The pills are HUGE and the dose? 4 a day. Yay! But hey, if it buys me time, I'll manage. I also started on a drug called Xeloda, which is also 4 pills a day, 7 days on, 7 off, so my pill count per day is getting high.

About 6 weeks ago, I was found unresponsive on the bedroom floor. I got a ride to the hospital in the ambulance, woo hoo! It's odd being in bed and waking up in the hospital. Pretty much just stayed less than a day - I don't recall many tests being run. I had a wicked scratch down the side of my face so I looked dangerous, haha.

It's kind of weird having that happen because you don't know if it will happen again. Apparently the doctors weren't too concerned, so life went on.

A few weeks later, I was heading toward the car with our young dog Charlie. He thought we were heading to the dog park, I think. We were not. He pulled, I went down in the parking lot. I was found unconscious by neighbors and got another ride in the ambulance. This fall resulted in a broken eye socket and a nasty bruise on my jaw.  I had surgery a day or two later and now have titanium plates in my face. At this point, we were figuring it was just a fall. It healed nicely, my plastic surgeon was a doll and eventually I stopped looking scary.

In the middle of all this, we moved for a job opportunity. Only across the river, but still a move. I did nothing. Shout out to my kids for being such a huge help.

I scheduled cataract surgery and had all the pre-testing. A few nights before I was to have it done, Lucky, our old dog, stood by my side of the bed chuffing, which alerted my love to the fact that I was seizing, foaming at the mouth and again, unresponsive. Another trip in the ambulance! This time I spent Mother's Day in the hospital...I was there for 3 days, I think. I had CT scans, a brain MRI, an EEG, blood work.  Everything came back clear and good. However, guess who can't drive for 6 months? Thankfully, with the move, we are smack dab in the middle of things and I can walk to enough places to keep me busy.

The consensus is that the prostate drug was causing me to have seizures and that the incident with the dog was probably one, too. So 3 seizures in about 6-8 weeks. I am no longer taking that med. I do not miss those 4 pills, haha.

I did manage to get my cataract surgery done, though! It almost didn't happen but the doctor is a good guy and trusted me that it was medication related. The results are AMAZING! I can read things without glasses. I had gotten to the point where I had placed a driving restriction on myself because everything was blurry. I couldn't use my computer, couldn't really read anything. I could manage on my phone with my glasses and the phone almost touching my face. That got old.

My other eye is being done in 2 weeks and I am so excited! Now all I need to do is stay seizure-free. Fingers crossed!

I am feeling a little stronger, I think. There are times I'm weak and I'll admit to using a scooter in Walmart, but I realized yesterday that seeing sunshine and feeling it and smelling cut grass and hearing the birds is some really good medicine.

Hopefully, my next post will just be a pretty picture :)


Comments

Popular Posts