Does absence make the heart grow fonder?

yellow

Or is it "out of sight, out of mind"?  Ever the optimist, I'll go with the former :)

On June 10, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Biopsies of 3 areas, all cancerous. I left the doctor's office with only that knowledge, and that the breast would be removed. The question was, chemo first to shrink it or no? A load of scans and tests in the 2 days between diagnosis and a visit with my oncologist. The visit was on a Friday. I found out then that no mastectomy was warranted, as the point of that was to contain the cancer. Mine has spread. There is lung involvement, which explains the sudden shortness of breath (absence of breath!) when doing stairs.  What was thought to be a spot on the liver turned out to be nothing (thank God!). I started chemo on the following Monday.

Fast forward 2 weeks to now. I've had more scans and a portacath inserted. My treatment is very, very easy - I tend to sit in the waiting room longer than treatment takes. The plan, at this moment, is for weekly chemo through the end of September and then letting Tamoxifen do the controlling. I will be getting a second opinion at Sloan Kettering once a CAT scan is done to see how the chemo is working.

I am continuing to live my life. I have never been unhealthy and am a little pissed at my body for betraying me like this, but I will stay positive and do what I have to do. I have a LOT of living left to do, a lot of pictures to take and I really hope to see grandkids at some point! I have been blessed with a wonderful person who is the captain of "Team Jean", as my sisters call it - he has really been a huge help and a clear head. So much to absorb!

So, I'll go with the former and assume you are all gonna love me to pieces, because I might not be around much. I'm just busy not letting this beat me.

And the flower has nothing to do with anything...I was on a walk yesterday and saw them blowing in the breeze. Made me happy :)

Comments

  1. I am so saddened and sorry to hear of your diagnosis and what you must be feeling and going through. Stay strong and positive and live life to the fullest. It sounds like you have loving friends and family around you which makes all the difference in the world.

    Your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I am strong and I am positive. I feel good. I do have so many people who care - I am blessed.
    Thank you, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you 'friend' me. First you utterly fail to marry me off - my ONE simple request to you (I mean how hard can it be?) - and NOW you're making everyone worry. Pfft. Friends. If you've got any you can call yourself lucky alright.

    ;-)

    XoX

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts